In an environmentally friendly atmosphere, many of us have chosen to repurpose moving supplies as opposed to just recycling. If you feel a little creative and want to have some fun, here are some ways to get crafty!
CREATE A CARDBOARD CASTLE FOR YOUR PET
You can utilize not only your boxes but a lot of the packing materials you used from your move.
- Draw out your design! You may have an idea in your mind, but it may help to put the idea to paper just see how much material you might use. It also helps to have an idea of layout so you know what shapes to cut.
- Next, using an X-Acto knife or scissors, cut out the shapes that you would like to use for walls, frames, and roofing. Don’t forget the embellishments like siding, drawbridge options, and tapestries or flags. Your imagination is limitless! Plus, if you don’t feel like using all the cardboard for the embellishments or the decor, you can use the tape or packing material to create fabric-like illusions.
- Paint and decorate your pieces.
- Tape your castle together! That packing tape is perfect to make your vision come to life.
- For one really good example, check out From Scratch with Maria!
USE FABRIC WRAP AROUND BOXES FOR EXTRA STORAGE
The coolest thing about repurposing cardboard boxes for storage is that they are pretty sturdy on their own. You can create a typical storage box that could be utilized in the laundry room or linen closet, or you can get a little bit more crafty and create a shoe rack. Again, your imagination is limitless! See how far you can stretch your craft skills by visiting HomeTalk. There are many examples on how to repurpose a cardboard box for storage.
USE THE CARDBOARD FOR COMPOST
While the type of cardboard that comes in your packaging may differ, you can use it to create compost. Typically, the cardboard will have to be either cut up or shredded to help decompose, but the idea of helping your garden as well as the environment recycle is a win-win!
Here are some easy to follow steps from Gardening Know How. You’ll learn how to compost with cardboard as well as how to revitalize your garden in the process!
POST FREE BOXES ONLINE
If you just want those boxes out of your new space, create a listing for “Free Moving Boxes” online! These online sites can also be helpful if you would like to sell some items that you no longer need or want. Here are a few you could take a look at: Facebook Marketplace, LetGo, Craigslist, OfferUp, Nextdoor.
If your creative juices are flowing and you need more inspiration Bob Villa recommends regifting, creating toys, and even making crafty coasters! You can check out more ideas from a trusted home advisor Bob Villa here.
For any questions regarding your move, give us a call (702) 381-1200 or drop us an email [email protected].