Moving Tips for Back to School
Back To School Moving for the College-bound Student
Parents sending their kids away to college are familiar with the difficulties involved- most commonly, shopping for school supplies and packing up boxes at the same time. Keeping track of everything from clothes and your student’s computer to textbooks and their first care package is a difficult proposition. It can be helpful to prepare a back-to-school checklist to make sure that your college-bound kid is ready for the most important four years of their lives!
A college freshman is usually required to live in the dorms, and any parent knows that those are small rooms. Don’t overpack; instead, focus on only the essentials, we’ve prepared a short checklist for a college-bound high school graduate to help them get the most out of their education while making a home out of their dorm at the same time.
Move 4 Less Back to School Moving Checklist for Success:
- Your average Dorm room is about 12 feet by 19 feet, and most dorm rooms accommodate two people, so plan accordingly for taking up about 6 x 9.5 feet or so
- Carefully label important items and packing boxes with your name- you never want to make an enemy of your roommate by claiming ownership on something that isn’t yours!
- Make sure you have the essentials for living away from home:
- Alarm Clock- College professors don’t appreciate late students!
- Tooth brush and toothpaste
- Laundry hamper/basket and detergent
- Shower Caddy
- Bedding and pillows
- Assignment planning tools like a Dry Erase board or day planner
- Study aids like a desk lamp, bulletin board, calculator (assuming you’re taking math), etc
- A laptop and storage media like USB cards or an external hard drive
- Pens, pencils, and paper for taking notes in classes
- Clothes for all seasons, since most college semesters span several months
Clearly label your packing boxes when you move, and organize them by a particular theme or group (school supplies in one box, clothing in another), so you can find important items when you unpack. College is the most important time in a person’s education, and you don’t want to waste time and energy (that could be spent studying!) by sorting through a poor packing job. Pack the right way and label your boxes, pack only what you will need to take with you for such a small dorm room, and remember- Move 4 Less Nevada can help!